Penang Hotel Guide & Travel Information
Penang (Malay: Pulau Pinang) is an island off the northwestern coast of Peninsular Malaysia. It is also the name of the Malaysian state which is made up of Penang Island and the facing strip of territory on the mainland called Seberang Perai (formerly Province Wellesley).
Penang's beaches are nice, though a little lackluster when compared to those in some other Malaysian states, but this is more than compensated for by the island's rich multicultural history which is full of Malay, Chinese, Indian, and European influences. Penang is also well known for being the "food paradise" of Malaysia.
- Georgetown — the capital of Penang; a favorite spot for tourists as it has many attractive pre-Second World War houses and shophouses, as well as 19th century churches, temples, mosques, and colonial buildings. George Town is a UNESCO World Heritage site (it was inscribed as one of the Historic Cities of the Straits of Malacca together with the city of Melaka).
- Batu Ferringhi — on the north coast with white sandy beaches, luxurious hotels & restaurants, a favorite spot for both locals & tourists
- Bayan Lepas — Penang's main electronic manufacturing area and location of its international airport. Georgetown's satellite town.
- Balik Pulau — literally "Back of The Island" in Malay; a small town nestled among Malay villages, fruit orchards, and padi fields.
- Teluk Bahang — a quiet little fishing village at the northwestern tip of the island
- Tanjung Bungah — situated between Georgetown & Batu Ferringhi, used to be a fishing village but now is a resort area with large hotels built along the beach.
Mainland (Seberang Perai)
- Butterworth — mainland gateway to Penang, directly across the Straits of Malacca from Georgetown
- Bukit Mertajam — capital of Seberang Perai Tengah district
- Bandar Perda — 20 minutes from Butterworth and 15 minutes from Penang Bridge
- Nibong Tebal — capital of Seberang Perai Selatan district
- Simpang Ampat — a small town famous for its nearby seafood at Bukit Tambun and Batu Kawan
- Seberang Jaya — satellite township
- Tasek Gelugor — a small town 20 minutes from Butterworth
( 1 Vote )